159th Guards Aviation Regiment

Pirates Of The Crimean
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Teamspeak Guide
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:57 pm 
Hangar Rat

The 159th uses Teamspeak as it's primary means of communicating with each other. In this guide I will attempt to help even the biggest computer n00b set up teamspeak in such a way that he or she can join a 159th flight and easily talk to the other pilots, switch channels while ingame, and broadcast an emergency to all channels at once.

Step 0:
Buy a headset.

If you haven't got one allready, buy a headset. Speakers and a microphone work, but a headset is ten times better both for playback and recording quality. With microphone and speakers, your microphone picks up sounds that are generated both by your voice and by your speakers, and the sum of that is being transmitted thru teamspeak. However with a headset, only your voice gets picked up by the microphone, so your voice is much clearer and people will have a much easier time hearing you.

Step 1:
Download teamspeak.

Go to http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads and download Teamspeak 2 Client.

The latest stable (non-beta) version is most often the best choise. At the time of writing this guide, the latest version is 2.0.32.60. Save the file somewhere where you can find it again later. Your desktop is a good, easy to find location. On the page mentioned above, click either 'Site 1' or 'Site 2' and on the following page, click 'I agree'. You should now be able to download the file.

Step 2:
Install teamspeak.

Find the downloaded file on your computer and doubleclick it. Follow the instructions. If you can install Lockon you should be able to install TS without any problems.

If TS installed ok, then start it up. You should see this window:

Step 3:
Connecting to our server.

To do this you will need our IP and TS password. You will recieve these before your trial flight takes place. If you haven't recieved these yet, skip this step and connect when you've recieved these details.

Click on the 'Connection' menu en press 'Connect'. If you haven't used TS before then you won't have any bookmarks. Right-click anywhere in the white area and click 'Add Server'.

Give the server a name of your choosing (I recommend something like '159th Server'). Fill in the server IP, your nickname and the server password. Use the picture above as an example and copy the settings. When you're done click 'Connect' and you should now be connected to our TS server and in our default channel.

Step 4:
The sound Input/Output setting.

Click 'Settings' followed by 'Sound Input/Output Settings'. The following screen should pop up:

You will need to do 2 things here. First thing is to set your 'Push-to-talk' button. This is the button which you push to start broadcasting yourself to the channel you are on. Click 'Set' and then the button you want to use to transmit. As you can see, I use the Backspace button.

The second thing you will want to do here is to adjust the playback volume of teamspeak. See this as a general Teamspeak volume. Use this if you have a hard time hearing others. As you can see on the picture, my volume is set to 50%. You'll have to find a balance between Teamspeak's volume and Lockon's volume.

One other thing you can do here is to test your own signal and microphone. If you hit the 'Activate local test mode' button, you can test both your push to talk button and your teamspeak volume. If you can hear other people on teamspeak just fine, but they have a hard time hearing you then you'll probably have to increase the volume of your microphone, but you'll have to do that in windows.

Step 5:
The options setting.

This step isn't required. If you click 'Options' and then 'Settings', and then go to the 'Sound Notifications' tab, you'll be able to adjust the volume of the build in Teamspeak sounds (Things like 'Player left' and 'Switched channel').

Use the large slider on the right to adjust the volume, or you can check the checkmark if you want to get rid of the sounds all together.

Step 6:
Key Settings.

This is the important one folks. Listen up. Go to 'Options', 'Key Settings'. This is where you can configure TeamSpeak to switch channels at the push of a button.

As you can see I use Insert, Home, Delete and End to switch between all the predefined channels that we use. I also set it up so that when I pres Shift-Backspace, I talk to all channels at once, so that every pilot connected can hear me. I hardly ever use this though, but it's easy to set up and could be very usefull in emergencies.

Here's how you tell Teamspeak to switch channels when you press a button. Press the 'Add' button and you should see the following:

Next click the first 'Set' button and then the key you want to use to switch channels. If you want to use a double key, like 'shift-del' then first press the first 'set' button followed by shift, and then the second set button followed by del. When you got the key right, go down to the action panel and click 'Switch to'. Make sure 'Channel' is selected in the middle field. You can then select the channel you want to switch to from the drop down box on the right. Click 'Ok' and then repeat this process for all channels. Finally you want to do a whisper to all button. The process is the same, but instead of 'switch to' select 'whisper to' and then in the middle field click 'channel list'. Then you can add channels from the drop down box which appeared below the 'channel list' drop down. Add all channels and press 'Ok'.

**you won't be able to select any predefined channels when you aren't connected. So this step can only be done when you've recieved our TS server details**

Post subject: Re: Teamspeak Guide
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Nice tutorial SM!!

:D

Post subject: Re: Teamspeak Guide
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm 
Hangar Rat

159th_Jojo wrote:
Nice tutorial SM!!

:D

its Invicta's ................... think I'd waste valuable time educating you lot? mission impossible that is! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: